As a leading hotel operator in the UK Jupiter Hotels Ltd recognise that our operations have an effect on the local, regional and countywide environment.
As a consequence of this, the management are committed to continuous improvements in environmental performance and the prevention of pollution. Environmental regulations, laws and codes of practice will be regarded as setting the minimum standards of environmental performance.
The Chief Executive is responsible to the Board for the company’s performance and implementation of this policy. The Chief Executive will be supported by a nominated member of the Executive Team who will provide regular reports on progress.
Overview of the Strategy and Action Plan
- A ‘Steering Group’ has been set up to lead activity on a range of objectives. The steering group will develop and maintain activity on the action plan. The objectives and action plan will be communicated to all employees.
- The Green Tourism Business Scheme (audit and grading ) has been established as the key framework for assessing performance and monitoring improvements. Employees and suppliers will be directly impacted and our customers will be encouraged to support initiatives.
- The main focus is on reducing consumption and improving efficiency in our Energy and Waste Management processes. Targets for each business are set for reducing energy, waste and water consumption. These targets are treated as Key Performance Indicators when reviewing local management performance.
Our approach is guided by a number of principles which all employees (hotel and support centre) are required to support.
- Senior management sets out the responsibility for environmental performance and develops and maintains an adequate system of management, measurement and improvement.
- All actions comply with relevant regulations.
- The business operations are regularly assessed for compliance with policy, performance and achievement of targets.
- Employees are encouraged to work in an environmentally responsible manner
- Suppliers are encouraged to operate in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Where appropriate, we will encourage support from customers by providing them with products and services that are environmentally responsible in use.
- Customers are made aware of all environmental policies in the specific areas where they are in direct contact.
- The company discusses and reviews action plan progress and performance against targets on a regular basis across all levels of the organisation.
Management System / Communication
- Activity is lead by a Steering Group – 6 employees representing all levels of business management.
- The Steering Group met regularly to discuss implementation of new initiatives, and the delivery of hotel based activity aimed at achieving targeted improvements.
- GTBS Audit and Grading Scheme is used as a basis for setting improvement targets, and measuring progress across all areas covered by the policy. League tables will be published showing individual hotel scores with each hotel responsible for their own local action plan
- The Company Intranet is used as the principal point of communication. Employee engagement is critical to the success of this policy and the sharing of best practice and successes.
- Performance against consumption targets is published on the front page of period management accounts. This performance will form a key part of the businesses Performance Management review process.
- Mechanical and Electrical maintenance contracts place a duty on the contractor to inform the company of plant operating at low efficiency, and to advise of further measures that may reduce energy consumption. Preventive Maintenance contracts are in place for all major plant and critical operating equipment. Contractor performance is reviewed regularly.
- Additional audits are conducted by external providers eg The Carbon Trust to identify specific opportunities to reduce consumption, improve process and measure contractor performance.
- Electrical fittings and consumables are purchased with regard to ‘efficiency’.
- Targets will be set for the reduction of water consumption and associated waste following benchmarking exercises and the reports of specialist consultancies.
- Improvements will be delivered through awareness programmes, flow restriction technology, excess capacity reduction and infrastructure maintenance.
- Targets will be set for the reduction of our landfill waste output and for the increased use of recycling where commercially viable.
- The use of print paper and ink will be reduced through the continued development of our IT infrastructure and improved staff awareness.
- Our Pre-Qualification process for contractors ensures that we only use representatives from responsible companies to work within our organisation.
- Suppliers are encouraged to have a valid and active environmental policy. When dealing with our suppliers we are increasingly including elements of sustainability and environmental awareness.
- Training/meeting transport will be minimised through the ‘regionalisation’ of meetings, training delivery and the increase use of conference calls and computer based training.
- Staff are encouraged to use public transport wherever possible.
Culture / Awareness
- The Executive Team are committed to the implementation of this policy and will give full backing to all those authorised to carry it out.
- Employee involvement in environmental matters is encouraged at all levels and will be promoted through training, communication and the on-going reappraisal of our working routines.